I never thought we would get here... Now I can actually cook a meal (In Theory)
I am very pleased with all the cabinet, color, granite and tile choices. It all came together nicely. The pulls, although not the ones I wanted originally, make me smile everytime I use them, I open a drawer and say to myself "I saved $30.00 on this one pull". You'll remember that the original pulls were $36.00 and quite lovely, from Sun Valley Bronze. See this post, but I opted for the less expensive Amerock and Liberty knock off's, and I am oh so glad I did.
Here are the $ saving pulls. I really struggled with the brushed Nickel, stainless question. Part of me feels that stainless along with the neutral brown colors is dated 1990, but I went with what I like. If I am the lady with the orange shag carpet in a few years, who cares, as long as the carpet is clean and dander free :-)
Here are some after photos,
My favorite change in the kitchen has to be the broom closet added to the far right of the refrigerator. This small cabinet houses the brooms and such as well as the recycle bins and daily cleaners. It also moves the refer away from the wall enough so that the door can open fully. That was a real problem before, the door to the refrigerator opened against that wall and you could not open the drawers inside all the way
We also got a much larger fridge which necessitated moving the island forward just a smidge. It makes a huge difference while cooking. We also added the auto glide drawer slides, which stop a drawer from slamming. Those are awesome fun. (how old am I?)
Although I still need to paint, let's face it, us housebloggers know the job is never really "finished" just on it's way to... Here you can see the Subway pattern brick travertine tile we chose for the backsplash and the recipe book cabinet. There was a cabinet here before which opened on the left, it was deep and thin. I wanted it open on the deeper part so that It wouldn't feel so closed off and I had a place for my many
rarely used cookbooks.
We removed the windowsill and replaced it with the same granite, Kashmere White, that we chose for the countertops. There is some cracking along the grout line where the tile and granite meet, after some settling I will caulk the area with a matching color poly caulk to seal the seam.
The two bathrooms are also almost complete, I will blog about that later. Meanwhile, I think I will go open and close my cabinets some more... Cheers. Lara